Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tony Noms Reactions


So, throughout college, it was important to me to see EVERY show nominated for Tony. I always see just about every movie nominated for an Oscar (this year got the shorts! But missed a couple foreign, couple doc, The Visitor & Changeling. Marg.) but the Tonys are much more difficult for a variety of reasons. Even with my fake student ID (oh life, how you make me laugh), it's still 25 bucks minimum to see a Broadway show. That costs a lot more than free, which is what it costs to watch every Oscar movie...for reasons that shall remained unnamed for now.

Anyway. This year, so far, I have done TERRIBLY on the Broadway shows front. TERRIBLY. It's a TRAVESTY. TERRIBLE. So, what have I seen? Let's break it down.

-Gypsy. Which was nominated for Best Revival last year. So...doesn't count.

-Billy Elliot. From the top side way back balcony. Couldn't tell if I liked it or not cause I couldn't see a damn thing. Reminded me why I never see shows from the balcony...

-Guys & Dolls. Third night of previews. Had problems, but I LOVED it anyway. Got panned by the critics. I was like, STFU. So YAY Tony nod for Best Revival! Somewhat validates my opinion.

-Slava's Snow Show. I saw 5 years ago. In union square. Don't know if this counts.

-Speed the Plow. GO RAUL GO RAUL GO RAUL WIN WIN WIN FINALLY WIN PLEASE AHHHH HE WAS AMAZING.

-Sidenote. Constantine is nominated for a Tony? Like, from the season of American Idol I didn't watch, Constantine? What? So I need to see Rock of Ages, we've decided.

-Sidenote #2. WTF IS THE NORMAN CONQUESTS, WHY HAVEN'T I HEARD OF IT, WHY IS JESSICA STEVENSON/HYNES IN IT I LOVE HER AND HOW DO I SEE IT RIGHT NOW?

-I couldn't tell you if these Billy Elliot dudes deserve these Tony noms or any wins because I couldn't see any of their faces and couldn't watch any of the performances. Eff you, balcony.

-Darn. No Lauren Graham nom. Damn damn. I loved her. :(

-My favorite lighting designer up for two!! Yay Kevin Adams!

Wow, this is a pathetic year for me and theater. Hair & West Side Story are at the top of my list, then Rock of Ages. Then everything else. Damn, wish I had been in better seats for Billy Elliot. That's upsetting.

OKAY. Long story short. Time to see some Bway shows. Whose with me to rush?!?! LET IT BEGIN.

Click here for a complete list of the Tony Nominations.

4 comments:

Brendan M. Leonard said...

Norman Conquests opened like two weeks ago, just made it in under the deadline. I think.

Emily R. E. Baron said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Emily R. E. Baron said...

Here's my list :)

SHOWS TO SEE BEFORE TONYs
- God of Carnage
- Reasons to be Pretty
- 33 Variations (end May 21st, with May 18th perf added)
- Billy Elliot
- Next to Normal
- Rock of Ages
- Shrek
- 9 to 5
- Mary Stuart
- Waiting for Godot
- Hair
- West Side Story

TV Whore said...

okay. as of today i have seen three of the best original noms (rock of ages, next to normal and shrek) and next to normal is going to win (that or billy elliott)

rock of ages is hilarious, great time and it should win for costumes. i saw constantine in rent like 4 years ago in LA and he sucked. let me say, his acting has NOT improved. J Robert Spencer will SWEEP best leading actor in a musical. BD James is good too but Shrek is not a winning role. And I would love Gavin Creel to win, but it looks like NExt to Normal will be this year's In the Heights

Hair, I think, will for sure win best revival, since West Side and Guys and Dolls have such mixed reviews. (And Pal Joey SUCKED) but Hair is loved by all (And Will Swenson will sweep best featured actor. mmmmm. my crunch on him is bigger than my crunch on Christian bale that i've had since i was seven)

Other Winning ideas:
Alice Ripley, Karen Olivo, JAmes Gandolfinni and MArcia Gay HArden (since they apparently make the audience PEE), God of Carnage, Next to Normal for Score, Mary Stuart (revival)