Sunday, December 7, 2008

New Moon May Be Better Than Twilight [Fired!]

Could it be?



In my post detailing why Twilight was such an awkward experience, I mentioned how I thought Catherina Hardwicke was the ultimate reason for it all. Literally since the moment the movie ended, I've been mouthing off about how much I hated her direction and how they should get someone new for the sequel.

Well, looks like my wishes may be coming true. Nikki Finke broke the news earlier today, followed by reports coming from Harry Knowles & Neil Miller.

Here's the statement straight from Summit Entertainment Co-Chairman/CEO Rob Friedman as spoken to Finke via phone call -

Catherine and Summit have agreed to part ways on the sequel because our visions are different...Summit’s targeted end of 2009 or early 2010 release of the film, New Moon, does not work with Ms. Hardwicke’s required prep time to bring her vision of the film to the big screen."


According to Finke, the real reason for Hardwicke's departure is that Summit wasn't happy with her behavior or direction and that the films quality is due more to DP, Elliot Davis & Editor Nancy Richardson. Yes, it had a huge opening weekend, but the drop off has been insane. Personally I'd guess they are also disappointed with its box office performance, believe it or not. Remember how we all thought Twilight would be the next box office Titanic, with tweens all across the country gladly spending their parents money on repeat viewing after repeat viewing? Yeah, didn't happen. The drop off has been huge, far larger than expected.

Obviously, I'm thrilled with this decision. I have hope now that New Moon won't be laughably cheesy (even though the text is ripe with potential awkwardness...) and that the effects might actually look good! Obviously if you've read the book, you know why having great special effects becomes slightly more important.

How do you feel about this? Happy to see her go? Who should take up the mantle next?

3 comments:

Lillian's Test Kitchen said...

I'm both glad she's gone, but also apprehensive. People seem to be making it into a gender thing as opposed to a "she wasn't right for the project" thing.

LoquaciousMuse said...

Oh god, I hope not! I'd like to think people understand that even if they pick a male director next, Hardwicke wasn't fired for being a woman, oy, oh, this could blow up in a really bad way. I wonder if they will seek out a female director to avoid this controversy, or just try to find the director who is truly right for it, male or female. Will be interesting to watch how it plays out.

Lillian's Test Kitchen said...

i think the plan is to find a female director for the next one so that they aren't accused of anything. however, I find the whole thing really distasteful regardless. I hate that gender has to be so much part of the conversation to begin with.