Sunday, December 14, 2008

Kenneth Branagh To Take On Thor [Confirmation Alert]


After two months of speculation, Kenneth Branagh confirmed yesterday to MTV that yes, he will indeed be directing Marvel's big screen adaptation of Thor. What did he have to say on the matter?

“I am directing “Thor” or “The Mighty Thor’ as you might like to call it...I think it will be ‘Thor’...To work on a story about one of the immortals, Gods, extraordinary beings, inter-dimensional creatures,...There’s science fiction and science fact and fantasy all woven into one. It’s based on Norse legends which Marvel sort of raided in a brilliant way...


Did this initial bit of news pop up during the couple months I was glued to MSNBC and volunteering for 'bama, cause I sure as hell don't remember even hearing Marvel was courting Branagh. But shit, that's cool. I could watch his Much Ado About Nothing all day long. Okay, so Much Ado About Nothing + I Am Legend (Mark Protosevich) = Thor? You know, that's not entirely ridiculous.

Regarding the potential casting of Kevin McKidd (The ATF jury is still out on that one), Branagh had this to say,

“There’s been lots of talk [about casting] — I sound like a politician — but we are too early at this stage. We’re getting the story and the visual effects together and all of that is very exciting. Someone sensational is going to play the part but it is early days.”


Back when the rumor broke in late September (HAH, I WAS in MSNBC watching, volunteering for Obama mode!) J. Michael Straczynski, who is currently writing the Thor comic, was thrilled with the idea,

“Honestly, I can’t imagine anyone better suited to this...‘Thor,’ at his best, has always had a classical bent to the character in terms of his history, the way he speaks, and the often Shakespearean intrigues and dramas that surround him. That kind of dialogue and character needs the hand of someone who comes from a theatrical/classically trained background in order for it not to sound forced or artificial. Branagh is absolutely the perfect choice.”


and Joe Quesada happily explained why the match worked in early October, during an MTV interview



What have we learned today? For LoquaciousMuse, Obama > Thor, but still cool news all around. And if I may - get on with the casting announcements already! For all the Avengers! I need to know who to photoshop in next to Downey & Norton for my own amusement. And I'll just act under the assumption that Simon Pegg is playing Ant-Man for now, ;)

Hat Tip: The Ever Awesome Film School Rejects
[Source]

0 comments: