Sunday, February 28, 2010

Crap. Could Avatar Win After All?


In reading Entertainment Weekly's anonymous interviews with academy members, I got...concerned. The majority picked Cameron &Avatar over Bigelow & Hurt Locker or Basterds? Really? Then looking at their top ten lists brought up a whole bunch of other anxieties. I realized that this year, not only are there 10 films, but there is a new scoring system. So even if Hurt Locker or Basterds get the most #1 votes, I think Avatar stands a better shot at being nominated in one of the top three slots over those two, which would clinch it winning Best Picture. Sure, there is no precedent for this (winning BP in a modern day race w/ no acting or writing nominations), but with a brand new scoring system, everything we thought we knew might be out the window.

I think at the end of the day, I will be happy with whatever wins best picture. Sure, the second time I saw Avatar, the magic died a little (couldn't avoid paying attention to the horrible, horrible dialogue and the dumb cliche after dumb cliche) but I did absolutely adore it the first time I saw it and I'm trying to remember that. It was a wonderful experience. But as of right now, I really don't know what I will select as my prediction come Oscar night.

Really, as long as Kathryn Bigelow wins, I won't be upset. Just...just please don't fuck that up, Academy.

0 comments: