Monday, May 9, 2011

Pitch Meeting: Something Borrowed

Crossposted on and Commissioned by Film.com

Late 2009. Three fancy executive types sit in a fancy executive type office, trying to come up with the Next Great Movie Idea.

EXEC 1: You know what there aren't enough of?

EXEC 2: Where - wait - in what - what context - what are we talking about? Like, endangered species, or -

EXEC 3: Bagel chips. In Chex Mix. Proven. I have the AP Statistics end of year project from 1989 to prove it.

EXEC 1: Romantic Comedies

EXEC 2: Oh! Movies. That makes sense. Just sometimes it helps to begin a discussion with the discussion topic, but that could also be just a personal preference

EXEC 3: But also bagel chips in Chex Mix. But also, go on, you're right, I'm intrigued, I like where this is going, continue

EXEC 1: When was the last romantic comedy?!

EXEC 2: Just this year? He's Just Not That Into You, Confessions of a Shopaholic, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, The Proposal, The Ugly Truth -

EXEC 3: Can't think of a single one. Ugh. What is the state of cinema.

EXEC 2: I actually just named -

EXEC 1: So I'm thinking, let's break out of the box. Let's make a romantic comedy. And get this - based on a BOOK. How many light, frothy, fun, romantic movies are based on books?!

EXEC 3: GENIUS!

EXEC 2: Well, Bridget Jones' Dairy and its sequel, The Devil Wears Prada, The Nanny Diaries, again with the Confessions of a Shopaholic -

EXEC 3: It's simply not done!

EXEC 2: So, are we not listening to me? Is that what's happening?

EXEC 1: And then, here's the real kicker, I thought to myself - who hasn't done enough light, fun movies? Who needs to shift their image a little, say to the world, I can do a dramatic movie AND a comedic one?! Wait for it. Wait for it.

EXEC 3: I CANT WAIT ANY LONGER

EXEC 2: Just please don't say -

EXEC 1: Kate Hudson AND Ginnifer Goodwin

EXEC 2: Took the words right out of my mouth. Can I go?

EXEC 3: What an amazing step for both of their careers.

EXEC 2: Considering they are both pretty much associated cinematically PURELY with romantic comedies, I'm not sure this actually does much of anything for either of their careers. Are we caring about my opinion yet? Or....

EXEC 1: So glad you guys like it. Because this book, Something Borrowed -

EXEC 2: Such an original name...

EXEC 3: ISN'T IT THOUGH?!

EXEC 2: .........

EXEC 1: - it treads new territory. Girl likes boy. Boy likes girl. Boy and girl don't know the other is interested, so boy dates someone else. But soon their feelings come out and boy and girl get together!!!

EXEC 2: So we are just pretending every other romantic comedy that's ever existed hasn't used that plot? I just want to make sure we're on the same page here.

EXEC 3: Cinema will never be the same. I'm witnessing history in the making.

EXEC 1: So what do you think guys? Should we greenlight this baby?

EXEC 2: No

EXEC 3: GOD YES, PLEASE, YES

EXEC 1: And did I mention we're looking at John Krazinski AND a guy from the Melrose Place reboot for the male leads?

EXEC 2: Oh. Well, in that case.

EXEC 3: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

EXEC 2: I was being facetious. And can someone stop giving Wilson espresso shots or lines or red bull injections or whatever the hell he's been putting in his system right before our meetings, it's distracting

EXEC 3: I JUST LOVE KATE HUDSON SO MUCH

EXEC 2: No you don't. No one does. Stop it.

EXEC 1: So....that's a greenlight then?

EXEC 2: You know what, sure, consider it greenlit, I don't care, I have to leave this room, I can feel my brain melting.

And thus, Something Borrowed was born!

0 comments: