Friday, May 14, 2010

Lost Live: The Final Celebration - A NIGHT OF MAGIC


Holy crap. Lost Live. That was...well, that was incredible. I took what notes I could in between truly enjoying and experiencing everything that was going on. Here's a rundown.

When we arrived, there was an EPIC line for Lost items, most of which had just been introduced that evening and were available in limited quantity. The art prints were Lost Live specific and only 300 of them exist each. Then was an Olly Moss shirt and an awesome tote bag (that maybe I bought and it was the 3rd to last one when I got to the head of the line after the show) of which only 815 exist each. But a guy came by saying the show was about to start, so we rushed out of line and took our seats.

Royce Hall is gorgeous. Much smaller space than I was expecting, felt grand, yet intimate. Our seats were pretty great, considering the circumstances and that I almost didn't get to go at all.

I was wearing my Olly Moss Locke shirt, of which only 815 exist, and I'm pretty sure about 100, minimum, were worn last night. We fuckin meant it, dude.

Ran into a friend who was an usher for the event, who promised to give me his Dharma Initiative Usher Badge. SQUEEE!

Upon entering, we received Lost Live program books, with letters from Darlton, the names of the pieces Giacchino would be playing and more. I may frame it with my ticket for the evening. DEFINITELY would have if I had gotten anything signed.

As we waited for it to start, projected onto the stage was the Lost logo against 3D, moving image backgrounds of various Lost locations. Was pretty cool.

We spot Jack Bender in the audience as the show is beginning

Turns out I've been mispronouncing Giacchino for a LONG time

A guy from ABC comes out first and says after tonight, "All that's left is the finale." Cue a bunch of boos and random chants for ONE MOAR!

He reads aloud a letter from George Lucas to Darlton which includes the phrase, "You've created something really special."

Darlton then come on stage to a standing ovation from half the room - namely the back, more enthusiastic half, where I was.

Then, as if it was graduation, Darlton brought on every single actor who was there, one at a time, each with a brief, but poignant introduction. Every actor would come on stage after their intro, hug Darlton, come to the center, stand in a spotlight, wave, and take their spot on the stage. GRADUATION, DUDE.

Here's the order in which they were introduced, by character name, Young Ben, Cassidy, Matthew Abaddon, Ethan, Arzt, Pierre Chang, Rose (who they said was the "heart and soul of Lost"), Charlotte, Faraday (first epic squeeing of the night), Boone (LOTS Of squeeing from all around), MiB, Walt, Michael, Richard, Penny, Desmond (longest applause of all the actors), Jin (before he came out, Carlton told Damon to "button his button"), Ben (second most applause, tied with) Hurley, and Sawyer (lots of squees).

Darlton: Ladies and Gentlemen, the cast of Lost

Cue HUGE standing ovation. Long. Again. We mean it.

All of the actors then TOOK THEIR SEATS for the DURATION of the evening.

The concert itself was beautiful. 6 pieces from Lost, each accompanied by appropriate stills & clips (sans sound) from all 6 seasons. I cried. A lot. Especially during Life and Death, the piece that makes us all cry, let's be honest, and the one I made my weird fan video to.

WEIRD FAN VIDEO BREAK



In between each piece, one of the actors would come on stage and read a "Message in a Bottle" from an Oceanic 815 survivor. They were read by Daniel Dae Kim, Jorge Garcia, Michael Emerson, Sonya Walger, and two from Nestor Carbonell. Each message was from a survivor we'd never met, except Michael Emerson's, who read one from "Neil", who, as we all know, is otherwise known as Frogurt. When the pieces were over Giacchino ran off stage, put on a Dharma jumpsuit with his name on the front and "Conducter" on the back and played the main theme to the film he won an Oscar for composing, Up. Very awesome.

Darlton then introduced the producers, writers and Jack Bender and asked them to introduce the episode, entitled "What They Died For."

All I have to say about the episode, is the audience laughed, the audience gasped, the audience clapped (a lot), the audience loved it. Getting to watch it with hundreds of fans, the cast, the crew and creators was absolutely wonderful. Getting to react to the things that happen in this episode with this group of people was once in a lifetime and worth every goddamn penny I had to spend on Ebay - (Which luckily wasn't too too much.) The evening was positively magical, and to cap it off, everyone received free Dharma Initiative Vitamin Water afterwards! They each had a name specific to Lost - Renewal, Discovery, Faith, Whooosh and more, and the labels themselves are hilarious and awesome. And yes, I bought one of the exclusive items when there were THREE left and about 200 people in line behind me. Phew.

I'll throw some pictures up of the program, water and more tomorrow evening, though I imagine you'll be able to find photos of them before then. Thanks for reading and if you were there and wanna talk about next week's episode, just shoot me an email - allthingsfangirl-at-gmail.com or find me on Twitter, @loquaciousmuse

5 comments:

EruditeChick said...

First off, great post- kudos for writing up something that makes EVEN ME wish I was there, and that spoils NOTHING. Neat.

Second off, young Ben was there! Were they selling limited edition sets of his CD? :D

Unknown said...

Me too, I loved the post! I was there last night!! How much fun was that! I was hoping someone was writing about it! I was so sad when it was over! But Jorge being there made my day! I love him so much!

On the bottles, I thought I got each one but I didn't after reading your post. I missed whoosh. I got discover, exhale, renewal, and a green faith bottle.

I am so glad I went! What a night!!!

Unknown said...

Me too, I loved the post! I was there last night!! How much fun was that! I was hoping someone was writing about it! I was so sad when it was over! I want more episodes! But Jorge being there made my day!

On the bottles, I thought I got each one but I didn't after reading your post. I missed whoosh. I got discover, exhale, renewal, and a green faith bottle.

I am so glad I went! What a night!!!

wickedgoddess said...

So wish I could have been there last night, but super glad you got to go so you could write it up for us.

Unknown said...

I am so jealous. It sounds like an amazing night. I am going to the NY Times Center this Thursday so see Darlton talk about the finale. I am very excited about this, but would have loved to see the cast members.