Monday, May 24, 2010

But If I Think About It Too Much More, I'LL START BAWLING AGAIN

 

*****


"Christian Shephard? Seriously?" 

"Well, doc, how about you come down off the mountain top and tell us what the hell the burning bush had to say for itself."  

"That was Charlie."

"We're not candidates anymore." 

"We don't get involved. Whatever got you tossed inside a well, that's the kind of drama Bernard and I don't want to have anything to do with."  

"Her name is Ji Yeon,"

"Looks like you've got your first gray hair." 

"I'm going to kill you."
"And how do you plan to do that?"
"It's a surprise."

"Jack, I believe in you, dude." 

"I think you're a good guy, Sayid."

"You're not John Locke. You disrespect his memory by wearing his face, but you're nothing like him. Turns out he was right about most everything. I just wish I would have told him that when he was still alive."  
  
"Great pleasure to meet you, Charlotte." 

Excuse me, is this table 23?"  

"Looks like you were wrong, too."

"Are you going to take my son?"  

"Claire?" 

"I hope that somebody does for you what you just did for me." 

"If the island is going down, I'm going down with it."  

"I'm with you, dude."

"Tell me I'm going to see you again,"  
"I love you,"

"We should get coffee sometime."
"I'd love to, but that machine ate my dollar. I've only got one left."
"We can go Dutch."

"Juliet, it's you. It's me."
"It's me, baby,I got you. I got you, baby."
"Yeah. Kiss me, James."
"You got it, Blondie." 

"I've missed you so much."  

"Hurley, it needs you."
"What?"
"It needs to be you, Hugo." 

"I'll see you in another life, brother."  

"I'm very sorry for what I did to you, John. I was selfish, jealous. I wanted everything you had." 
"What did I have?"
"You were special, John, but I wasn't."
"Well, if it helps, Ben, I forgive you."
"Thank you, John. That does help. It matters more than I can say." 

"I think you do what you do best, take care of people."

"That's how Jacob ran things. Maybe there's another way. A better way."
"Will you help me?"
"I'm sorry?"
"I could really use someone with, like, experience. For a little while." 
"Will you help me, Ben?"  
"I'd be honored."
"Cool." 

"You know, you were a real good number two."
"And you were are great number one, Hugo." 

"Yeah, I'm real. You're real. Everything that ever happened to you is real. All those people in the church, they're all real, too." 

"Well this is a place that you all made together so that you could find one another. The most important part of your life was the time that you spent with these people. That's why all of them are here. Nobody does it alone, Jack. You needed all of them and they all needed you."




Thoughts: That was beautiful. If you don't get it, if you don't like it, I'm sorry you didn't get to experience what I experienced last night. I'm confident this will go down as one of the greatest television shows in history. I don't give a shit about the questions that remained unanswered. We got our character resolutions and that's what the show has always been about. I'm happy to theorize about the things that weren't made clear. It keeps the show alive. I don't want answers for every little thing, and you don't either. Can't wait to show my kids this series one day, and to rewatch the whole thing with them. So happy I've been a part of Lost since the beginning, even if my obsession didn't start until the season three finale, carrying on into seasons 4, 5 and 6. I have a lot of theories and a lot to say on this finale. If you wanna chat about it, let's chat about it.

[Photos]
[Quotes]

6 comments:

burnallzombies said...

I too only joined Lost late, towards the beginning of season 4, and all of this broke my heart. I don't care about the questions that aren't answered: as you said, it's all about the character resolutions.

I think what was most beautiful was the whole concept of the flash-sideways universe: if you've ever "lost" (hah!) someone close to you, especially recently, that's going to break your heart, but it'll also have you wishing that the real thing is just like that.

wickedgoddess said...

Completely agree with you. I think the first time I cried was Hurley's look of absolute delight at seeing Charlie again. And then when Charlie saw Claire. And when Sawyer and Juliet remembered each other. And when Hurley asked Ben to help him.

God that was good. Without a doubt the best show of the decade.

jen said...

can someone please give me their interpretation of "they died when the died"? so when did kate, sawyer, jin, jack die? i would like to think that they died when juliet hit the bomb last season. and that this last season was just jack's journey to the light.

ahhck! if i think about it too much, ill lose my sanity. i already didn't sleep well last night....

anyways, hope to read your take!

Da7e said...

1. Does Lapidis' life jacket say 4DULT?
2. I totally called that shiz. Only you and my father know this.
3. Totally agree about overall opinions. All we can do is feel sorry for people who didn't find what they were looking for in the series, because I think it's pretty well contained.

Unknown said...

Jan, I think "they died when they died" suggests that despite the fact that they didn't all die at the same time or in the same place, because their time together was the most important of their lives they were reunited in the afterlife (the sideways universe). Hence, how Ben and Hugo had a shared history. "You were a great #2." They may have acted as the guardians of the island for years, but all we know is that in death they all found each other again.

It took me a sleepless night and a thoughtful day to realize that I did love it. I just wasn't ready to let go :)

Eleni said...

I was completely satisfied with the way they ended things on the Island. I was a little disappointed, though, that, as I understand it, the sideways world wasn't "real". It was set up to be an alternate reality where the bomb went off and the characters were thus never influenced by the Island, but it turned out just to be their made up little fantasy? Because they needed it? OK, maybe they wanted to find each other again in death, but why would they find each other in a way that makes it seem like how their lives might have been if the bomb had gone off?

So, really, Juliet was wrong when she told Sawyer "It worked"? It didn't actually work, and all of that bomb stuff (and her death) was for nothing. And the sideways world isn't a sideways world. Just a lie. Don't get me wrong, I still found it profound and beautiful, but it was also somehow dissatisfying.