Monday, August 17, 2009

Awesome/Sucks

It will happen for real soon! And when it does - SQUEEE!

So I just randomly decided to start a new feature called Awesome/Sucks. This will focus on what I'm generally thinking is awesome today and what I generally think sucks.

AWESOME
Sunday night double whammy of True Blood & Mad Men returns. With a vengence. (beware of spoilers)

I was nervous going into the Sunday night line up because my expectations are HIGH AS HELL for both True Blood & Mad Men. This season of TB has SO far surpassed season 1, that a part of me got terrified that suddenly everything would all fall apart. Because. Seriously. How is this season so brilliant? If I were someone watching TB for the first time on DVD, when I got to midway through season two I would have been like THIS IS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. YES. But now I have full confidence that the awesomeness will hold up for the final three eps of the season.

In regards to last night's ep in particular, ERIC AND SOOKIE SCENE WAS THE BEST OF ALL THE SCENES IN THE LAND. I'M SOLD. ALSO ALEXANDER SKARSGARD IS WELCOME INTO MY BED AT ANY TIME. JUST SO WE ARE CLEAR. HE IS A GENIUS AND ERIC IS SEXY AND SQUEEEE I AM 12!

....

You heard me.

And then came the Mad Men season premiere. Again, I feared the episode wouldn't meet my expectations. But it did. Hells yeah it did. Also by featuring a sex scene that WINS. I've never seen a network show go as far as Mad Men did last night, and Sal didn't even get his clothes off! Then Don & Sal's moment through the window and - yup, you did it, Mad Men. Perpetually Petulant Pete (say that three times fast, I dare you) stayed true to the title I've bestowed upon him and Joan continued to be the queen of the world. Cannot wait to see what this season brings!


Mad Men Is Awesome

SUCKS
Kick Ass gets picked up by Lionsgate and my heart gets picked up by SAD

Obviously we all wanted Kick Ass to get nationwide distribution by a studio that wouldn't fuck with the final cut, but Lionsgate?! Notorious for being run by an asshole and having no clue how to market its movies Lionsgate?! AUUUGHHHH. It's not like Universal is doing any better right now (seriously, Universal, think about what's changed in your marketing department from last year to this year and FIX IT. FAST.) and I wouldn't necessarily trust Paramount to keep their hands off the finished product, but still. Sony just made District 9 a bonafide hit and even though they initially wanted Hit Girl to be a teenager, Screen Gems is down with hard Rs and would have brought along some of Sony's PR moxy. I also wish Warner Brothers would have jumped in there - they have some of the best marketing minds around and opened hard R 300. And happen to be my favorite studio. Yes. I have a favorite studio.

You know what's odd about this whole thing? Paramount, Lionsgate & Universal were the three studios completely absent from Comic Con this year, anything Saw related not-withstanding. I hear you saying "What about Iron Man 2?!" but please, that doesn't count. Paramount isn't handling the marketing for Iron Man 2, MARVEL is. Paramount is just the big guy distributer here. And you know, I can't even think of the last R rated movie Paramount distributed, let alone the last R rated movie they distributed that was a hit...

All that aside, ultimately, I would rather Kick Ass have the Paramount or Universal logo flash before its opening credits, rather than that damn lion next to that damn gate. Kick Ass deserves A list treatment and Lionsgate by nature distributes B movies. Sigh.

So that's what's awesome and what sucks today! The next time I'm equally thrilled and disappointed all at once, another entry of this new feature will appear!

Update: Last Paramount R rated success - Tropic Thunder. Though the film is widely considered to have underperformed. I Love You Man comes close, but it more Dreamworks than Paramount (the same way Iron Man is more Marvel than Paramount) Thanks to @filmnerdjamie & @thomasspurlin for helping me figure that out!

0 comments: