Friday, October 15, 2010

Glee-Cap! Top Bitches: Season 2, Episode 4

Remember last week when I asked Where is Puck? he's in Juvenille Detention for driving a volvo into a convenience store. At least he's still in those diegetic American Express commercials. Sigh. I miss him.
"A Duet is when two voices become one, where the two voices push one another to be better."
I want to say that that happened in all the duets this week, I want to... but it's hard to tell if that really is what's going on here.

The Glee club was torn apart over competition for a dinner for two at Breadsticks this week, and Sam's deep dark secret was revealed... with the help of Kurt.

Brittney and Santana broke up this week, and Santana was proven to be a cold, unfeeling reptile about it.


This whole thing made me very sad... It makes me very confused to see how sympathetically Kurt's homosexuality is treated, and how very, very sad everything about Brittney and Santana's experimentation-or-maybe-more relationship is handled. In fact, everything abotu Brittney makes me very sad. While Santana and Brittney go off and do a duet, Brittney seduces Artie into a duet, and while they don't end up singing together, they make "beautiful music together". "Beautiful Music" that Artie ends up regretting and telling Brittney off about it.



While sex doesn't mean THAT much to Brittney, it's clear that it's a major part of her personality. That for Brittney at least, it's a way to get attention, to get people to like her... at least as long as they want that from her. And now that she doesn't have a partner in crime... she's totally alone. What is going to happen to her? SERIOUSLY??? Please Glee. Treat her a little bit seriously, or you will make me cry and that WILL make me hate you.


Everyone else in this episode is pretty much trying to be Alpha Glee Club Member. Rachel is trying to do what is best for the team by manipulating Quinn and Sam into doing the winning Duet. Kurt feels alone... and Finn is a bit of a psychopath. Is Rachel rubbing off on him? is this psychopathy what lies beneath his somewhat vacant victim status? Regardless, Finn tries to keep Kurt from partnering with Sam to keep him from being picked on so he'll stay in Glee and then gets upset when he and Quinn are actually connecting. Kurt knows about Sam's dark, or rather, light, secret... which I won't tell you, but I will say it's not that he speaks Na'vi.

 
Which Glee you get bonus points for +5

Lady Chart:

Santana: Evil Reptile +2 for actually having lines and for being jealous of Brittney and Artie for a moment.

Brittney: Is so sad. +4 for setting me up but there's +10 in it if they follow up on her.

Tina: Wants to do non-"Asian" things with her Asian Boyfriend. Like eating a salad         without chicken feet in it. +3 for actually having lines.

Rachel: Psychopath, but reaches out to Kurt legitimately at the end. +5 for growth.

Quinn: Beginning to recover from her broken heart while being her own, manipulative self. +5

Mercedes: Sang a song. no points

There weren't any other women in it this week, also, no Puck and no Stamos. At any rate. This week was not terrible, though I'm not going to call it good because it made me very worried for Brittney and not in the "they're making me worried through careful crafting" but in the "I really don't know if they care about what they're doing with her here or not" way and that is bad.

Tune in next week, I have yet to become whole-hog Gleek nor have I fallen into a slushee-filled despair. We shall see.

2 comments:

Steve G. said...

I think they're being really subtle and slow with Brittany. Heck, wasn't she originally just supposed to be a dancer with no lines, but because Heather Elizabeth Morris is awesome they've slowly expanded her role?

I'm a big fan of hers, so I thought she was actually portrayed quite sympathetically in this episode. At the beginning, she wants to cuddle and talk with Santana, but Santana is the one who doesn't want to indulge her. And yeah, she sexes up Artie, but he's the one who ends it with her - probably because he's a complete tool and asshole. And the scene with the meatball is one of the most oddly sad of Glee's entire run so far.

Also, one awesome thing about this episode: No adults! They kept Sue and Will and Emma and the weirdo new football coach out of it for the most part. I think that definitely helped.

Caitlin Burns said...

You're totally right, I want to believe so much that they are doing something seriously subtle with her. They've set it up, but I live in fear that it's not that way. It really makes me confused as to whether I love the show's writers or hate them, either way I'm glued to the TV.