Friday, March 23, 2012

Best Finds of Wondercon 2012

As per tradition, here is our wrap up of the best finds on the Wondercon floor. As a Dealer's Room junkie, I always like seeing what I missed at various conventions, and enjoy providing that service for you readers as well.



Gaming Table
One of the absolute coolest booths on the entire floor, the gaming furniture created by Geek Chic is truly after my own heart. Each piece is individually made and can be custom fit for whatever type of geek you are. Need a place for your controllers to live? Done. Need a gaming table with a built in area for throwing dice? Easy! How about a simple way to organize your comics? Done! I mean, yes, these pieces cost between 2000 and 3000 dollars, but I JUST WANT ONE SO BAD. Oh man, the unnecessary items I will buy if and when I am a rich person. Beginning with a custom made table that makes playing Xbox and the Battlestar Galactica Board Game slightly more convenient for me. WOOT!

Nine more peaks at the best of the Wondercon floor after the jump!






Locke and Key Board Game
Every time I walked past this booth, I saw folks playing the Locke and Key game. From the makers of the extremely popular Walking Dead board games (or rather ONE of the Walking Dead board games), the Locke and Key game is card based and inspired by the Locke and Key comic. I'm a sucker for both card games and comic based games, so everything about this screamed WANT. Of course, I didn't have time to go buy it before Wondercon ended. Le sigh. But man, as soon as I own this, I am playing the crap out of it, don't you worry.





Quantum Mechanics EVERYTHING
Four words. Obsessed obsessed obsessed obsessed. Okay FINE, one word four times WHATEVER, the point is, QMx is the greatest company in the history of ever. The booth had items for sale on display, but also had an entire section devoted to prototypes, which had me losing my mind. Among them was a Viper model with a WORKING DRADIS. Let me repeat. WORKING DRADIS. I could have stared at that fluid blue line all day long. And on the shelf above that? A plushie viper and raider. Also, minor plus, the very nice guy working the area had a British accent. What's not to love?!


Game of Thrones Photo
After missing getting my photo taken in the Iron Throne at all of the conventions last year, I made it my mission to get my head on a pike. War is coming in Game of Thrones season 2, which means thousands of heads will roll. Thanks to some nifty green screen work, anyone who was willing to wait in a little line got to give their best dead face and see how they'd look without a body. Be sure to head to the Game of Thrones facebook account and sift through the galleries which range from extremely disturbing (some little kids partook) to the hilarious (some people are fanTASTIC at looking dead. Others? Notsomuch) and you might even catch the heads of something you know. Excuse me, used to know.


Lil Bookwormz
Hello, place where I will one day buy all of my baby clothes! If you too want your kids to get a head start on being intellectually superior to those around them (is that such a bad thing to want?!), then head to Lil Bookwormz. All of the designs are either famous quotes or graphics matched with the alphabet such as N is for Noir, S is for Science Fiction, W is for William [Shakespeare], E is for Edgar [Allen Poe] and so on. Plus a portion of all proceeds is donated to the literacy foundation, WORDs. There is no part of this I do not approve of. I wish I knew a baby for whom I could purchase a onesie! Get on it, friends.


Captain America Charm Bracelet
If only I had not already purchased @Eruditechick's birthday present, this lovely little piece of jewelry would have made the cut. Simple, sweet, and to the point, it's a great item for any Cap fan. Sad times for me, I neglected to write down the name of the company who makes this item, but you can expect me to have my eye out for them at C2E2, Comic-Con and NYCC later this year.



Watchmen Painting
I mean. That. I need to own. But like. Seriously.For only $100? I should have just bought it. Idiot, Muse!  Artist/rapper/producer/fanboy Rocom, also offered the Star Wars, Pokemon, and Fantastic Four pieces, featured above, but unfortunately none of them seem to available in his Etsy store. Dear Rocom, if you are reading this - hi! I love your work. I want to buy some. Please come to all the conventions ever. Love, Muse.


Lord of the Rings Valentines Cards
The perfect valentines cards for any geeky couples out there, made by Monkey Minion Press, who also boasted some fantastic buttons (love the ninja turtles set) and supercool prints (I will keep fighting, Cap, I will!) I highly recommend checking out their online store and perusing their goods at upcoming conventions. I fully plan on hitting them up for some birthdays later in the year.


Womanthology
This entirely female created anthology made its big debut at Wondercon, with both a panel and a booth in Artist's Alley. I contributed to the Kickstarter and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my copy, but kind of wish I had purchased one there, just so I could have gotten it signed by some of the hundreds of women that contributed, who were present at Wondercon. The book is absolutely beautiful and I highly encourage you to pick up a copy if you haven't already!


Batman Corset
You can never go wrong with a corset. Or Batman. So a Batman corset is pretty much a no brainer. Pendragon Costumes, who created this item, had tons of other comic themed items, as well as steampunk, scifi, and renaissance outfits, covering the whole gamut. Whenever I see this corset again, I'm gonna take the next step and actually give it a try.

For more photos from Wondercon, featuring items from the floor, head to the All Things Fangirl Wondercon 2010 gallery.

1 comments:

오피 op-best.com said...


Thank you so much for giving everyone such a splendid opportunity to discover important secrets from this site.
It is always very sweet and full of fun for me personally and my office colleagues to
visit your blog minimum thrice in a week to see the fresh guidance you will have.
And definitely, I'm so always amazed for the fabulous creative
ideas served by you. Some two points in this posting are absolutely the most effective we've had.

Visit my site :: 부산오피